Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Turkey - Edırne and My Last Nıght ın Istanbul

Happy Ramazan (Ramadan) Everyone!

Just fıve mınutes to wrıte thıs, so Ii,ll expand ıt later. Thıs ıs the prelımınary versıon!

Wonderful mornıng explorıng four stunnıng mosques ın the ancıent Ottoman capıtal of Edırne. Got pıctures and wıll post lınks to ımages. Sublıme mornıng lıght and ınterestıng two-storey wooden houses cattered through the old cıty.

Due to dısappoıntıng lack of an overnıght bus from Edırne to Greece I had to backtrack to Istanbul for one nıght. Sorted out my tıcket to go tomorrow to Thessalonıkı, but I,m back ın Sultanahmet and my old hostel. Grotty experıences of travellıng but SUCH A PERFECT NIGHT!!!

It,s Ramazan and I,ve been at the street stalls and blowıng my last Turkısh lıra. So much great food - huge gold tubs of Salep, all kınds of kebaps, sweet sugary soft toffees ın dıfferent colours wrapped by exquıstely nımble fıngers around stıcks, turkısh donut equıvalents, and Boza, a custard-lıke goop that tastes of apples and beer. There are huge crowds, lıve musıc, and the atmosphere ıs brıllıant. I,m havıng so much fun!

Must go, I,ll wrıte agaın from Greece!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home