Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Sri Lanka - just to let you know I'm alive

Sri Lanka is a fantastic place, which duly deserves a proper series of blog posts.

However, I am pressed for time. I will tell you all about it tomorrow afternoon, after I return from a 12km trek to World's End, here in Sri Lanka's verdant vermillion tea fields.

I am 6800 feet above sea level in a five star hotel. It is a reconfitted Tea Factory, loaded with industrial machinery and an impressive atrium seven stories deep. Japanese tourists are whispering behind me, and Aishwarya Rai beckons from the tabloid pages next to me.

More to come...

PS: My mobile phone is several thousand kilometres out of range, so if you've been texting me, I won't get it until January 2006. Email still works, so please drop a line. Be warned, I haven't been able to check it often. Last time was three days ago beneath 30 metres of Golden Buddha, in a broom closet, with an assistant who spoke Singhalese and Italian fluently but not very much English.

1 Comments:

  • At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:57:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey bronut!

    I made it to 186 on Bop it.

    You'll have to return to catch up!!!

    Missing you. We were wondering what the origins of the phase 'humdinger' was the other day, and you were the only person I know who might have known the answer!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home