Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Singapore Airport

Dedicated to the Understated Elegance of Travellators

In five minutes I must summarise the magic and mysteries of Singapore Airport.

The long, green corridors have electronic muzak pumped from the ceiling, sourced from a variety of world cultures. It is loaded with pep, gusto, sound effects and a hint of tinnitus. I'm currently finding it amusing, but I doubt this relationship will last another half hour.

It also has travellators. Travellators are brilliant. They are, on paper, instruments for the obliviation of general fitness levels in the western world, but check them out if you get the chance sometime. There's a sense of the world whooshing past as you walk along them, as if you're on some kind of incredibly important business. Perhaps their novelty for me is based in the fact that I really haven't had a chance to stretch my legs for a few hours, and remember playing on them as a kid.

Finally, there is a TV screen behind me which is odd. It's showing an old episode of Charmed, but all the actors are moving distinctly faster than their backgrounds. Also, the special effects are way more pixellated than usual, and you can see the subtleties of their facial makeup as if they were on a theatrical stage. I think it's a high-definition TV, which I haven't yet seen in Australia, but it's an odd experience considering how years of television viewing train us to expect a distinct visual distortion through the screen.

Anyhow, I must be off to explore the rest of this haven for the transitory traveller.

And escape the muzak.

3 Comments:

  • At Friday, August 26, 2005 1:01:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The true question is however, is did you eat singapire noodles at the sinapore airport, while in Singapore??
    I have a friend who was born in Singapore, although he is Australian and so is his family... I huess he just couldn't wait to get home, and had to see the world then and there. And he hasn't lost that need to look and know and learn.
    Hope that you continue to enjoy the trip as much as you have so far. Do you have a pocket dictionary full of those spectacular words, or is your mind incerdibly full??
    keep on keeping on,

    The Musical Wonderment,
    Charlie

     
  • At Friday, August 26, 2005 11:56:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahh Singapore Airport. I LURVE that airport!!! spent an hour and a half in transit there and enjoyed it immensely...using the free internet and getting some foot reflexology. Magic :)

     
  • At Sunday, August 28, 2005 9:36:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Where'd my bro go?
    Where'd my bro go!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home