Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Egypt - Leaving Cairo

Dedicated to the Vocabularist and Tabbi - good luck on your travels, and gule-gule.

I stayed up "stupid late" last night with a "stupid heavy" suitcase. Party next door was "stupid loud" until 4am. But most of the night was actually spent with Tabbi and Peter playing Bookworm and drinking Amarula to lighten my luggage. Bookworm's an online game that requires you to spell words from scrambled letters, requiring a sharp eye and some tactics. It's also terribly addictive. I will not give you the URL because I think you all deserve productive and happy lives away from the computer monitor. And there are few things pettier than becoming incensed with rage over the injustices of a game that lets you spell "Qua" for points but not "Monday".

The luggage came in at 41kg total. Apparently this is illegally heavy for any international airline. It has now been split to two bags - one, the unweighed hand luggage, contains all my more suspect customs-declarables and heaviest items. This tactic should work - it's reduced the weight of the big bag to around 27kg.

Looks like most things will be coming back with me. These include the hard copies of the best photographs, unfortunately, as 800 prints weighed 2 kilograms. (This really put something into perspective for me - if I printed all my photos, they'd weigh around 60kg! But it only takes 15 minutes to view the best of the first half on CD).

The next 40-odd hours will be spent making may way from Cairo to Canberra, via Singapore. I'll aim to write another blog post from Singapore airport, just as I did on my way out of Australia. Inshallah. I am looking forward to reaching home again, and very excited to hear that several family members who normally live interstate or overseas will be in Canberra when I get there. Thanks so much guys! See you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home