Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Egypt - Dashing out the Door

Dedicated to the Sibling Exchange Program

"Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"

Moments left before I leave this country. As Dad always firmly states, everything gets frantic before you go abroad. A few seconds ago I was on the phone to Australian and Egyptian people I shall miss for the next month. A last-minute banking crisis was suddenly eased by a deu ex machina with a taste for dramatic timing. At least the final farewell dinner was leisurely and delicious, with great company that I am sure to miss.

Deepest darkest Africa beckons like a neocolonial fantasy. I don't know how reliable my internet access will be. I'm expecting very little indeed. Subsequently, I will try to get at least one post per nation (seven in total), but I can make no promises. The diary will be extensive, as will my photographs.

Bring on the third major phase of the GT!

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:10:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    best of luck in Africa Sam! Hippos and rhinocaurous' (sp?) and giraffes, coming right at me oh my! (watch out for the animals...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home