Sam Bowker: The Grand Tour Diary (2005 - 2006)

This is the archived journal of a 2005-2006 'Grand Tour' around the Eastern Mediterranean and along East Africa, written by Sam Bowker, whilst in search of his PhD topic.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Italy - Venice and Murano

Dedicated to John and Lisa's New Home. Congratulations!

Today was an expensive day, and will result in carrying more bags around than usual for the last few days in Italy. I'm sure Italy has wanted me to do this for a long time. It seems quite the local fashion.

But aside from that, it has been great fun and I'm sure it will make many people very happy. Today was primarily spent on boats of all sorts, hopping between islands and jetting down canals, taking heaps of pictures. I allowed a few hours to explore the nearby island of Murano, famous for it's glass production, and watched several factories at work. Always fascinating to watch objects being crafted by hand. Especially gorgeous objects.

Yesterday was occupied primarily by modern\contemporary art, which I needed like an aspirin to counter the excesses of pre- and post-Renaissance arts I have been exposed to in recent weeks. The Peggy Guggenheim collection was especially interesting in the flesh, and I spent some time chatting to the interns there. I seriously considered applying for such an internship well before leaving Australia, but I'm not sure now if it will be a real step forward for my career. It now feels like an expensive way to stay on much the same level. (But in Venice!)

But, Internet being pricey as usual around here, I must be off. The concert the other night was sensational, in case you're wondering. I'm leaving Venice tomorrow for La Spezia and hopefully Cinque Terre, but we shall see how that turns out.

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, November 15, 2005 9:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Burger King Eater,

    Thank you for your postcard. It was indeed great to receive news from the Pontiff.

    Assard and I have just braved the winds of tonight. It was a stormy day here in the A.C.T.

    Hope all is well.
    L

     

Post a Comment

<< Home